Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Trying a Different Drawing App


MediBang Paint, on my phone.

I'd seen this drawing app mentioned a few times before on the interwebs, but never really got into it. Now I am giving it a second shot, because one of my sisters suggested it to me; she uses it.

And I'm finding that it might work pretty well for my current project, better than Sketchbook, which I have been using for the vast majority of my digital art adventures. Not saying I'm getting rid of Sketchbook and eloping with MediBang Paint, but in this particular situation, the latter seems the better equipped for this type of work.

It still has lots of layer options and most of the main brushes and features I've liked from the other app, just in different places and menus to get used to; but also the fill selection is more intuitive and therefore quicker, plus it has the paneling grids and tones choices designed especially for making comic pages.

screentshot of a random sketch that has nothing to do with my project

Yeah, my current project is...*gulp*...a webcomic.

I finally decided, to heck with it, we've just got to plow in and learn from mistakes and get some practice in.

The idea for this story was one that I had only about a month ago, so if you ever heard me mention any webcomic ideas in the past three years, this is not one of them. (Although, if this is a success, you might expect to see more.)

I am both wildly terrified, and also excitedly hopeful about this endeavor.

Battles are being waged inside. The stubborn and optimistic all-hours-dreaming silly hopes, against the pessimistic slime monsters which fear that I'm not ready, that my art isn't good enough, that my story isn't good enough, that I won't be able to follow through, that no one will even read my story, that some will but they will send me hate, that all of my technological devices and/or the internet will crash, that those friends and family are right about it being next to impossible to turn my strange artistic hobbies into an income, that creating dumb fantastical worlds with stupid pictures is useless, that I will get off to a rolling great start and then one of the places I applied to for a second day job will contact me in the affirmative instead of rejecting me again and I will have to face the grim duty initiating that the comic will fall out of necessity because the energy and time it takes to create it cannot exist in the same dimension as my work schedule...etc., usw.

ANYWAY, the comic has no title, the characters have no names, and I have not fully worked out the designs and styles yet; but I have a complete outline, and I am working on fleshing it out and writing the script as my NaNoWriMo project this month. XD

Yes, I am torturing myself and overfilling my plate as per the usual.

How is YOUR November going?


4 comments:

  1. You can do it, you can do it! Send those mind-gobblins hobbling away.

    I have been wondering about your digital art... do you use a stylus? Or... your finger? I really don't know how digital drawing (on a phone!) works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, thank you! XD

      It is rather hard to draw on my phone, yes, haha! There are a number of free drawing apps I have tried out (for Android OS, not sure what is available for iphones). A huge percentage of the time I use my finger, as I have more control that way; but I also have one of those pens with the touchscreen nub thing on one end that I will use once in a while when I need to shake things up or to give my hand a break so it doesn't cramp weird. :D

      Delete
  2. Go, Sarah! Go!! Rah! Rah! Rah! Sis boom bah!! {{(If I could, I'd Draw in the cheering section right here)}}
    Go! Go! Go!!

    ReplyDelete