Tuesday, January 14, 2020

One Step Forward, Two Back?


I'm just going to come right out and say it: It has been a very discouraging start to the new year so far for me, and my paranoid brain is hastening to project the doom into the days ahead as well.

I figured I would update you on the progress (or lack thereof, however you might see it) on my webcomic project. There have been some interesting developments, both foreseen and unforeseen.

older sketch (traditional) of my main character (I've modified her design a little since then, bc I thought she seemed a little too much like myself, which was yucky)

FORESEEN:

I am perhaps planning and researching and practicing overmuch, and I should maybe get to actually creating the story proper sooner rather than later. Some of my hangups are things that would probably take years to iron out (or an insane amount of practice), like the fact which is still very bothersome to me, that I cannot draw the same face twice and have it still look like the same character.

Not directly related to the work on the project, but affecting it more than I would like it to, is the fact that I have gone back to one of my most draining day jobs I have ever had, as a second job again. This will inevitably slow down my progress on my artistic ventures, but it is a necessary evil or whatever.

UNFORESEEN:

I was immensely shocked to receive as a Christmas gift from one of my bestie sisters, A WACOM INTUOS PEN TABLET! (seriously, so. shocked.) I am very clumsy with it as yet, but I am positive that once I get the hang of it, this tool will greatly improve my efficiency in drawing out my comic; and also it saves a little bit of hand cramping and eye strain, since it is more like regular drawing and I can look at a bigger screen, than when I was using my finger to draw on my smartphone. XD The downside is that I need to take a little time to familiarize myself with how it works so that there is not such a huge difference in the quality or whatnot between my traditional and phone drawings, and the things I draw with the tablet tool...

on screen is a random doodle - trying to get used to the new tools
(Funny story, my first go at trying the tablet out, I drew a lumpy apple, and it brought back memories of the lopside-headed girl I drew as one of my first ever digital drawings, when my dad let me play around with the Paint program once on his Windows 92 desktop PC over fifteen years ago, haha! I feel so old.)


P.S.
I know that for some there are certain big celebrations and things going on soon, and I just want to wish safe travels to those who are travelling, and I hope everything goes well and is not too stressful. :)

3 comments:

  1. Perseverance, practice and prayers, nothing is ever perfect but it's impressive when you try. And even more so when you continue to try.

    ReplyDelete