Tuesday, November 2, 2021

My Inktober Pieces

 

So these are the ACEO/ATC sets I had done for Inktober:

Two sets. I had originally planned on doing five, one piece for every day in October except the last.


close up of watercolor paper and ink marks, etc.

 

In case you wanted to know a little more about the process:

 

I started with a thumbnail in my sketchbook to figure out the spacing and composition of the set as a whole, keeping in mind the individual cards and trying to fit something interesting into each without cramming stupidly. I was also using three different prompt lists, so I wanted to try to match each piece's theme with a day that it would fit into my Instagram grid, to be extra XD

Lightly sketched out the layout and areas on the watercolor block

WIP, ink wash, after lines with a micron pen
 

nearly finished first set (I used white ink for the glowiness on the faeries and the mystical moss or whatever I threw on the tree haha, and a white gel pen for the stars)

 

And the second set was done like unto the first, I just didn't use any white ink, because I didn't really like the chalky look that happened, plus it was a differently-lit scene:

even quicker, tinier, sloppier thumbnail haha

sketched out on the block (the white pen wasn't used for this, it was just hanging out)

inked lines

pretty much finished

Afterward, I just re-measured the lines for the card divisions again and cut them out. (cut cards shown in first picture of this post)

I had planned on selling the cards when October ended, but I don't feel that anyone would buy them now that they are done, especially not for the prices I would feel comfortable charging for them. I'm definitely not going to list them on Ebay, because everything else there is either selling for $9 - $12 a card, or is from a well-established bigger-name artist and goes for $300 or more. Haha not worth my time. I ran out of steam and ambition on that front, so I might end up using them as Artist Trading Cards instead. Right now, I'm going on a trip, and then I'm probably going to be shifting into Christmas-project-thinking-mode shortly after my return (as well as doubling-down on my day job search that I've been lazy about/distracted from), so these are getting stashed for the time being.


1 comment:

  1. So, SO marvelous! Beautiful work, Sarah.

    It seems there should be a market for mid-range art works. It would definitely be worth trying, but maybe not on Etsy, which has its own problems.

    ReplyDelete