Sunday, January 13, 2019

Winter Creativity- Flower Arrangments


I am visiting Katie and her family in Michigan and she asked me to help with a special project.



Many years ago I was given a large supply of silk flowers from a church in Hood River that had an over abundance (given to them when Walmart cleared out their inventory). I sent many of those flowers to Katie's church and she has been using them to create arrangements for the altar and to decorate at Christmas time.

As a busy pastor's wife with six children she desired to have some permanent arrangements that could be available to save her time when preparing for services. 

First we separated the flowers into color piles to better see what I had to work with.



Katie had found pairs of glass vases at thrift stores which she spray painted in white, gold and a bronze color that made the inexpensive glass vases look like pottery.



I used some floral foam to keep the stems of the flowers in place



I cut many of the flower clusters apart with a wire cutters in order to have more flexibility in arranging them.





I made a set of arrangements for each season, trying to make matching pairs. These are for autumn.




Winter


Spring



Summer



Red flowers for Pentecost and Reformation. These can be easily removed so that the gold vases can have white silk lilies for Easter.


 The winter arrangements for today's church service.


When I make any flowers arrangements, real or silk, what I always look for are variations in bloom sizes, petal types and "textures". I had an enjoyable time arranging these flowers because I had such an abundance of types and colors to work with. There were enough flowers to make many more arrangements!






1 comment: