Saturday, May 23, 2020

Ancient Artifact

Sculpture

This recently resurfaced. I made this in college eons ago for practice in making a mold of a sculpture. I think I sculpted the original in wax, then covered it in a hard casting material, probably plaster with shims. Then the wax was melted out, the interior was layered in this plastic-y material (Fiberglas?) with gauze (I think) for strengthening. Then the mold form was removed and the shimmed areas smoothed. 
The subject is from a Rodin work, as I recall. 






3 comments:

  1. Where has that been stored and what will you do with it now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, cool!!! Yes, do tell! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was among stuff my mother kept. She is packing up and giving back or giving away things, so this came back to me. It is sitting in my unorganised new studio right now, among the piles to be attended. I don't know what I will do with it. I would love to do an improved version.

    ReplyDelete