Tuesday, August 18, 2020

First Time I Dabble in Animation (Digitally)


I messed with a little animation for the first time last week. I don't know why...but there it is, haha...

 

The GIF version:

 


I used my character Deirdre's eyes, and wasn't really paying attention to making the art look great or right or fabulous; I was just trying out the animation tools in Clip Studio Paint, haha.

I got a couple of in-progress screen grabs:



The blue lines were like the sketch layer over the top to help me figure out the in-betweens or whatever you call it. XD


With the "onion skin" layers activated, so you can see what was in the frames before and after to help line things up



I ended up rearranging the thing into the reverse order of how I drew it, though, because it looked like the eyes were slowly closing and then snapping open again quickly, like someone trying not to fall asleep, when it was the other way, haha!

Altogether, it was only eight frames and four drawings, and I am guessing it took me about five hours total (I never remember to keep careful track of my time, especially when something is not finished in one sitting/day...)? I don't know how "smooth" the animation is, but it was definitely a fun needless diversion from my normal art pursuits. XD
 

 

(My siblings and I played around with a tiny bit of that kind of flip-book-drawing animation doodles when we were kids, but idk if that counts as animation, haha)

 

(Also I noticed the dates on blog posts and the commenting options are all in English now? Is it like that for everyone? Was it an automatic thing or was it changed deliberately? Anyway, I'm not sure I like it, haha. I miss seeing "keine kommentare" and "Montag" and 24 hour time stamps lol)


2 comments:

  1. This is Marvelous!
    Do keep up this skill.
    I had one son doing this ages ago, when less sophisticated tools were available. I remember a Luther story.
    You can do so much more, and more easily now. Not that it is actually quick or uncomplicated, but the tools are helpful.
    Thanks for sharing this. And for comments on previous posts.
    I hadn’t noticed that everything was in English.That must be the result of the UPDate. But since it allows me to comment again, I approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I probably won't do much with animation for a long time. The Luther story sounds interesting! Was it ever finished?

      The fact that you can comment again is a plus, yes, haha!

      Delete