Thursday, November 19, 2020

Advent Banner

 My advent banner project went very well. I completed it in just a few days with minimal difficulties. My new sewing machine makes creating fabric projects trouble-free which is so refreshing!


I adapted a design I found on the internet that incorporates the symbolism of the advent candles.


For the candle flames I used this metallic thread, notorious for causing stitching snarls and snags. With a brand new (burr-free) needle in the right size, my snags were far fewer than I have suffered in the past.

I started out making flames with a darning type of stitch but decided it wasn't bold enough. I dug some gold metallic fabric out of my trunk and appliqued flames with the gold thread.


For appliqueing the lettering I found a wonderful tutorial on YouTube  for a method that was easy and precise. After printing the letters from my computer in the size and font I wanted, I made a "sandwich" of layers using the letter fabric that had been prepared with an iron-on fusible adhesive. This made positioning the letters so easy. They were perfectly spaced and lined up.


I then stitched through all the layers, sewing right through the paper on the letter outlines onto the banner. After finishing all the sewing I tore the paper away from the fabric.


This left the sewn outline of the letters.


With a small, sharp scissors I trimmed away all the extra fabric around the letters. After that was done I used a hot iron to press the letters and fuse the adhesive onto the banner. To finish, I used a zig zag stitch on the edges of the letters to secure the raw edges.






Ready for Advent in plenty of time!











2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Pam. The lettering looks like it was very fussy, but the results look worthwhile.what kind of fabrics did you use? Regular quilting cottons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just cottons from my stash for the pink shades. I bought the purple shades new. You can see the difference in fabric quality between the purple and pink candlesticks. The pink would not press firmly. Regrets.

      Delete