Thursday, December 9, 2021

Sewing Projects


My quilting guild has been operating by virtual meetings for the last year and a half. This year they managed one meeting outdoors and a live, in-person quilt show (which I was forbidden to enter, but that's a different post...). As soon as the weather turned cold again, the meetings went back to Zoom. Ridiculous and unnecessary. I am pushing back on their policies and have begun attending the board meetings in hopes of facilitating some change.

One of the things the guild does is invite teachers from around the country to give presentations at a meeting followed by a workshop that is derived from their particular specialty. I have always benefited from these workshops. In November the work shop was conducted over Zoom, with all the participants working at home in their personal sewing rooms. 



This workshop was called "Playing with Shadows" and was taught by author Colleen Wise who has done a whole series of quilts using techniques that give her fabric patterns a  shadow effect. 


 

This pattern of Colleen's is called "Emerald City". The class focused on color values and how to choose fabrics with light, medium and dark values that would give a 3D effect when used in the pattern. The students chose fabric swatches and had them critiqued by the teacher before sewing the parts together. This was my set (one of two).



After sewing together a few blocks, we focused on finding a background fabric and also a "shadow" fabric that would give the illusion of the block casting a shadow on the background. My fabric stash is not big enough to give me enough choices. I like my green background fabric but I need to visit the fabric store to find a black or dark grey fabric that has a similar pattern as the green fabric to have a more effective illusion of a shadow. 



This is my second set of fabrics on the same background.




I was trying out different shadow fabrics here. You can get an idea of how the final quilt may look.

I am really looking forward to working on this quilt after the holidays and finding just the right shadow fabric. 

If you'd like to view some beautiful quilt works from the comfort of your computer, the guild's website will keep you busy. Check it out right here- Columbia Gorge Quilter's Guild



I also have spent some time crafting some Christmas gifts. These are granddaughter aprons using some kitty fabric that granddaughter, Adeline, chose when she accompanied me to the fabric store. 




I am absolutely LOVING my Swiss-made Bernina sewing machine, new to me this year, for its excellent features like the edge stitching foot that sews with perfection. 



This is a little pin cushion for another granddaughter. She is getting a sewing box this year. My grandmother gave one to me when I was her age and it began a lifetime of creative sewing crafts.

1 comment: