I have not been doing any art lately... I think I am taking a break and will come back to it fresh when my inspiration and enthusiasm returns. Right now I am mostly working in the garden, and taking the kids swimming nearly every day (I am pretty sure they think swimming is their full-time summer job).
I have been trying to help the kids get some projects made to take to the fair at the end of summer, and one thing we tried was some molding with Plaster of Paris. I've never done it before and it didn't quite turn out very well, but I think we will come back to it and try again.
I did repaint my kitchen, however!
(The sign in the above picture was made for me as a gift by a dear friend, it is still waiting to be hung in it's designated spot.)
Since we built the kitchen, it has been a bright sunshiny yellow, which I liked very much. But it was getting very dirty and dingy-looking and I was ready for a change and a freshening-up.
I had a terrible time picking a new color, however, and as it turned out I still was not happy with what I ended up with. The photos don't exactly show it as it looks in real life... The color is called "Cool Sea Air" and I thought it would look gray with a little hint of blue-green. In reality, it looks much more blue than I expected. When you get a whole room-full of it and add changing light, it just doesn't look like the sample.
Granted, it is a very trendy color right now. I see this color all over the decorators that I follow on Instagram. So maybe it was some sort of subconscious color choice on my part. And I am adjusting to it. It does look really good with my counters and floor, and once I got some new decor up, I do like how it looks.
(That pot-rack is the one my Mom hauled back on an airplane from Switzerland for me!)
Taking everything out of the kitchen made me rethink how (and if) things go back in. The decluttering effect has been nice and I have moved some things to make them more attractive and functional. I would like to add in a few new things, such as a basket or something to hold coffee and tea accouterments and a little shelf for mugs to make the little "coffee corner" more useful.
So I am glad to have that summer project done.
In a future post I will show another fun project we've been doing... raising a monarch caterpillar! The photo above has a little sneak peak-- in the windowsill is the milkweed that the little creature was eating. It went into it's chrysalis the other day, and when it emerges, I will show all the photos.