Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Metal Embossing

For a Summer Class

This was an Artful Gathering class, that I was only able to view and work on after our return from the States, so not much time. But I learned the technique and enjoy the process and product. I had ordered some tools, but found them of poor quality. They drag on the metal. The instructor said, over and over, in class, "If it makes a mark, it is a tool." So I tried this and that and ended up making a wooden skewer my main tool. It works.

My first try had a major mistake, which I fixed, but it is not crisp anymore. I had a reversed letter. Much of the work is done from the back, so one must be aware of which side one is working on. Distractions don't help.

Start with thin metal. This is about 4 x 6" with silver on one side and copper on the other.
This practice project was divided into various sections to keep images a manageable size.
Each box got its own design.

Here you can see the corrected mistake.


So I did another today, thus time on the copper side of the metal. It is better.




It did eventually get something in the top space.

Next time I will try to show you what the piece is used on. 



3 comments: