Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Creative Goings-on

Some homeschool friends of ours had been studying the Middle Ages and invited us to a medieval party they hosted.  It was a costume party, and probably the first time my kids have ever been to anything requiring costumes.  We spent a day in a frenzy of costume construction and as a result we had two honorable knights, Merlin (ah, a very young Merlin), a beautiful princess, and the court jester.  The party was great fun with food specific to the time (no forks!), archery, knife throwing, jousting, and general merriment.  






Right after that, I jumped into this project that had been awaiting my input--



My Mom and I planned this joint project as a 70th birthday gift for a special aunt in our family.  Mom did all the lovely painting, Dad made the rustic wood frame, and then they mailed it to me to add the lettering.  I had spacing problems, as usual (sigh), but it turned out pretty well.




I can't seem to find the photo of just the painting without the lettering, but here is a close-up of the lamp.





For "Card Making Day" on Saturday, my children made birthday cards for a friend.  (And I can't get the photos to be un-rotated no matter what I do!)  In the photo above, Andrew's is top, Evan's bottom.  I was struck by how carefully symmetrical Andrew made his.





 And I was amused when Evan drew a forklift on this inside of his.




Here is another case of photos annoying upside down and I cannot right them!  I wish Blogger would add an edit option for photos...  Anyway, these are two little mixed media pieces the boys did for the fair.  The background is a piece of canvas panel with tape resist paint, and then they glued corrugated cardboard and torn bits of crepe for trees.  



I, myself, have done very little art lately, but I do have a few little sketchbook things I can show in later post, as this one is getting long enough for today.  More later!

3 comments:

  1. Those are the cutest medieval kids ever! That Jester! (FYI- I bought that hat at a kiosk in Venice many years ago. I love that the kids have gotten so much fun out of it for so long) great job on the costumes, Katie!

    Good job on the cards, boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I am very sorry for the post overlap, Katie. I thought I checked. Bother.....

    Second, those are marvelous costumes you made, and quite dashing inhabitants thereof.
    Third, the gift by your family is a real treasure. Beautiful work by all. So nice to see handmade gifts.
    Compliments to your children on their craeative cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Did the kids have fun?

    That lamp project is really awesome -- I love it.

    Interesting trees! I'd never thought of using tissue paper as leaves on any project!

    ReplyDelete