Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Pastels and Perspectives


From Leah


So here's what I'm working on in Pastel class at school. It's very fun and messy! I have oil pastels that I've never used, but these are chalk and I was told there's quite a difference in them for sure. I want to be able to at least get a feel for pastels in particular, before I try my oil pastels. This is pretty fun and going pretty well though! Much work to be done on it yet and I can't wait to see my finished work!




From Sarah


I thought I'd share some of my photography homework with you today.

Last week's assignment was Forced Perspective. Making people look at my photographs twice because they are not always what they seem, and setting up nonsense that could be realistic at first glance was fun and kind of Alice-in-Wonderland-vibey, which was relaxing and slightly unsettling at the same time. I should remember to try this style/technique for taking pictures more often, as it causes me to look at things a little differently than I am used to and is both challenging and refreshing.

When you are trying to make something look bigger than it actually is,it is hard to get the focus to balance between the far and the near objects, and the lighting gets a little tricky.

This one was my favorite. I'm going to call it the Reading Corner haha!

This week's assignment is Leading Lines. Lines are really not so hard to find for use in compositions -- it's just a matter of seeing at what angle or perspective I should place myself in relation to the subject/mood of the photograph. This type of photography is also pretty relaxing to me; with crisp or soft horizontals or verticals it is like tidying up, and with S-curves or diagnals it is like adding a cherry to the top of a piece. Again, I think my photography and way of looking at things could benefit by not forgetting to think about lines in setting up my shots.

 



I don't much like taking photos when there are people around, though, so I don't think I could ever do it professionally, unless it was like nature or product photography -- I wouldn't be able to do occasions or portraits, because I tend to get nervous and hurry up with my work when there are others watching me snap a picture, haha!

1 comment:

  1. Great Progress, Ladies. It is also good to see some expansive reflection happening with your studies and practice. Keep up the broadening of our minds and experience.

    Leah, you will find oil pastels are entirely different from dry (chalky) pastels.

    ReplyDelete