Saturday, October 14, 2017

Little Bits of Art

Most days I feel like my creative brain has left me.  But sometimes new materials are sufficient inspiration to bring out a little art!  I got a check in the mail--nothing grand, but a bit-- from some items I had consigned at a local resale store.  I immediately turned around and put it into art supplies I had been hankering for-- a tube of paint and a couple brushes.  The most exciting part of this is the triangle brush  that I have been longing for!  It's also called a "wedge brush" and is gaining popularity lately for it's interesting strokes for loose flowers.  It has been so much fun to play with!  Once I got the hang of the right stroke (sort of a complicated combination of pulling, pressing and twisting), I was able to come up with some lovely little flowers.  




I plan to make up some note cards with some simple flowers and have them on hand for when I need to send a card, instead of scrambling to make a card right when I need it.





I also tried a few little koi fish with that brush.


And this last is a page in my mixed media journal.  There is a particular artist I follow on Instagram who does these really fantastical flowers and abstract shapes with ink and watercolor, so I followed her inspiration a little here.  This was lots of fun and maybe needs more layers, but for now I don't really know what.  I might try more later.  The photo highlights are a little blown-- the color is richer in reality.



3 comments:

  1. Super, Katie!
    Aren't new tools fun? You do beautiful work with that brush.
    And those multiplicities of colors in your journal page is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your bright flowers make me smile. They're very inspiring!:)

    ReplyDelete