Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Polymer Bowl

Done, Number One

A bit ago I showed the polymer canes I made. Then I had to wait for a cutting tool. Today I got back at the project, after doing some extensive reading on the subject. I should have done that first, but it will help for next time. 
I cut the rolls into slices .....




......and applied them inside a bowl to make a colorful bowl. It was all figure-it-out-as-you-go. So it is quite crude, but very colorful. Sort of Mexican looking.




Then I baked it and voila.









Ninety-nine to go.

4 comments:

  1. Try this- lay all the bits out on a flat surface in the pattern you want to form a large circle, then gently roll with a rolling pin. You could lay a sheet or wax or parchment paper over the top (and under it). You want to press the pieces together so that you eliminate those gaps between without stretching them and distorting their patterns. After you have a nice slab you can lift it like a pie dough, either on a sheet or without if it doesn't stretch (another technique would be to loosely roll around the rolling pin) and lay it in the bowl and shape it to the bowl, then bake. I think you will like the results better.

    I'm sure there are millions of how-to videos on YouTube if you do a search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I should have said firstly-- great job!! I love the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I wrote a reply but it didn't post – again. Not sure why.

    Anyway- Thanks, Pam. It was intentionally "open work." I know it is quite crude (probably cringe -worthy to a potter), but I am in the duck stage with this medium, waddling ungraceful and without finesse on the land.

    ReplyDelete