Here's a little more from my mixed media class. The point of this class is to experiment and try out different techniques.
This page was my attempt at crayon resist. I held a hair dryer in my left hand, and in my right I drew with crayon stumps from my kids' crayon box. I keep the heat on where I was drawing to make paper warm and the crayon melty, so I got a really intense color. The wax hardened really fast, so I had to keep it hot. My finger tips got a little toasty. After that I washed it all with watercolors. I love the intensity of the indigo paint.
The instructor recommended trying out samples of "anaglyptic" wallpaper. I had never heard of that, but it is a paintable, textured walpaper and comes in every design you could imagine and more. I found a place online offering two free samples with free shipping. When it came, I couldn't wait to try it out.
I used a strip of it on the bottom of this page and really love the texture and design of it. I also used a little more of my plaster of paris (mixed with gesso) and a stencil, and some nice textured scrapbook paper that tears really well. I made drippy watercolor runs over the top of it all, and at first I regretted my color choice-- Brown Madder paint looks exactly like blood... dripping... eeek! So I added some Dioxazine Violet. Still... what does that say about the creative process? Metaphorical for something... maybe...
This last was another experiment in resist. I drew some zentangle designs with black china marker (grease pencil) and accented with white china marker and silver sharpie. Then I tried some acrylic glaze base scraped around and laid plastic wrap over it to make it dry with a crinkly texture. It turned out very subtle-- I think I should get some gel medium, it would probably work better than the glaze base. After that was dry I removed the plastic and washed watercolor over it all, then stamped circles with silver and white paint and a plastic cap. I mixed up some more of my plaster of paris with black and silver paint and scraped that around the edges and laid in a few little silver beads in the corners. At the very end, I sprayed on this shimmer mister, but I regret that part because the surface was not porous enough to absorb the spray and it just got all splattery and I think it dulled the whole page. Oh well, that is the point of experimenting! I feel like my scanner didn't pick up the color and texture of this one so well... it looks better in real life. It was a really fun page to do.