Samstag, 3. Dezember 2016

Early Gifts

We just returned from our big gathering with my family in northern Washington (I assume Mom will post some photos from that when she has time).  I feel so behind now because Advent started while we were gone.  I got home and immediately got out the Advent wreath and some Advent calendars for the kids, but that is all so far.  My fall decorations are still up.  I hope to get more Christmas things out soon, but I'm still playing catch-up.  This morning we went to have some family Christmas-themed photos taken, and then I took the kids to the holiday activities at the library where they did crafts and games.  Those things are helping to get us into a festive mood.

Since we were all together (that happens very rarely, and never at holidays), we decided to do our Christmas gift exchange a little early.  Normally we draw names among the siblings and spouses, but this year we chose to try something different with a White Elephant exchange game.  

I made a couple of lettered panels for my and Nathan's contributions.  (I know, his wasn't technically from him, but he didn't have time to come up with something and I had ideas, and isn't that what a wife is for?)





Mom ended up with this one.




I got a few small bottles of metallic paints to play with.  The gold is actually sparkly!  




My sister got this one.  I used some coppery colored paint on this one, so it has a bit of a shine, too.






And this is the arty gift I ended up with, brought by one of my brothers.  Not that I have time to color, but I have done a few of the coloring pages, which are very detailed and interesting.  The book is absolutely mesmerizing.  We were all pouring over it, and I have enjoyed reading bits of it.  We also had lots of discussion about the relative merits of Van Gogh's life and work.



Kommentare:

  1. Lucky people to get your gifts, Katie.
    On the second one, did you put on a square texture pattern?The whole work has many fine layers. And the bases - are they canvases? Or paper mounted on board?
    Really good work.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you. :-)
    They are 3/4 in. plywood. Pretty hefty, actually. I did not use a square texture... the only texture is the dots, done with tinted texture paste and a stencil.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Thanks for the explanations. I really like these.

    AntwortenLöschen