Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The OTHER Sketchbook

I did not do much in the way of creativity last week. Just this one picture I did with no regard for proper rules or colors or anything, so I wasn't really sure if I wanted to share it or not. Haha. I drew it only because I felt like it, and chose colors and placement of objects in the picture as they came to me.


I also got a little crazy with the green in the hedge... Yeah, this is not my best, but somehow, I still kind of like it. I think it was maybe a little fun.

Although I don't really have anything else to post, as I was looking back through this sketchbook, which apparently lends itself to markers frequently, I thought maybe I should share some throwbacks from this one, as I did with my older (and more serious?) sketchbook...

This sketchbook is a little smaller, and has paper that is thick but kind of (I don't know what you'd call it) mottled or speckled...? grainy, so I don't like to do really clean work in it, but it handles markers quite well, I guess. Anyway, this one I use more for random experiments and story idea sketches, whereas the first one I showed you I had been trying to keep as a sort of diary of masterpieces or something lol. I know now that I need to fill it up without trying to "save" it, and that the more I practice (hopefully I'll find a way to get some "life drawing" in!), the better my drawings and things will get. (At least, that's what I'm telling myself now.)

Okay. So here are some more of my drawings from years ago...

This one is from 2012:


Ruby, a character for a story idea I had in 2013:


Yeah...Like I said, this sketchbook is less "serious". Haha. From 2014:


Sketches of outfit ideas from 2015 (Forgot about the eared hoodie. Haha. I think I wanted to try to knit/crochet something like that):


And that's all I can scrape up for this week. Soon I will start tackling my Christmas gift list, so I will probably be doing even less drawing and more crocheting, but I'm not sure how much of that I'll post, either. I feel like I crochet too much and neglect drawing, but I seem to be addicted to crochet and I am hardly ever dissatisfied with the finished projects, while I am almost always upset with my drawings. But maybe I just need more practice, and more practice... I don't know. I hope I will like drawing more, because it is super fascinating to me and I keep dabbling in it and forgetting how it doesn't turn out. Haha. Almost like my hand wants to draw without me. Whatever.

Sorry this is really weird writing. I have a bit of a headache, but I have to work even earlier than usual for the next couple of days and wanted to be sure I wouldn't forget to post.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, your illustrations have so much life and expression. I am blown away that you drew those without any training or lessons at all. You have such a special talent. I can't wait for you to get serious with it. What do I have to do to help you? Please write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything Pam said! Your drawings have such expression and energy it would be a terrible waste of talent not develop them into further works. While it is very good to crochet and make Christmas gifts - yes, now is a good time to start - you can also take at least five minutes a day to sketch and do life drawing, of anything, but especially your figure studies. And keep thinking about the book. It will be wonderful!
    I like all those greens in your new picture, and the line work. Lovely.
    If you are sketching every day, you can post at least one of them a week, because we would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete