Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Banner Ideas

Pentecost Designs

Mary, I did some banner ideas for you today, as requested; just small sketches on my drawing pad. I wasn't sure if you meant Pentecost and Trinity (separate designs for each festival), or Pentecost with Trinity (combined themes), so I did some of each. These are mostly adaptions from my banner books. Colors can be changed as you like, of course. This gets a little tricky, to combine the themes, because Pentecost has red as its liturgical color and Trinity has green, and you don't want to use both in the same banner (thus getting a Christmas-y look). I think some of these done in quilt fabrics with quilt techniques would be lovely. They would be especially pretty embellished, and maybe with enhanced bottom edges in special shapes.

Upper left: wind and cloven tongues of fire. Upper right and lower left: Pentecost and Trinity combined.

Left: Pentecost. Right: combined. Words could be added.

Left: Pentecost. Right: Trinity.

Pentecost

Left and right: Trinity. Middle: Pentecost

Pentecost

Left and right: Pentecost, could be done in various quilt fabrics. Middle: funeral; the center is the heavenly city on a hill, with the stream of living water below, and the light of the Son above, with optional words.


Funeral

Here are a couple more ideas.

Left and right: funeral. Middle: Trinity

If any of these appeal to you, or spark another idea, let me know and I can make a larger, more detailed drawing for actual use.

Tea

While we today had pouring rain, then thunder and hail, then snow, Mary said she had a fine morning for tea in her garden with Mom. How very nice, Mary; I may have to join you there until spring comes here.
Mary's side garden

4 comments:

  1. These are great. Our church has no banners and I've been intending to make some for years. I need it to be made easier for me to do it by not having to design it first. How about some Lent and Easter designs too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you know, this is something I've thought about, too... When I look at what is sold in the catalogs, I don't care for the overly simplistic and blocky designs. And then, of course, the smarmy themes some of them have.

    I would have trouble coming up with a design for each season or theme, much less a pile of them like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you know, this is something I've thought about, too... When I look at what is sold in the catalogs, I don't care for the overly simplistic and blocky designs. And then, of course, the smarmy themes some of them have.

    I would have trouble coming up with a design for each season or theme, much less a pile of them like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ladies. I also have long wanted to do some banners or paraments. Though we don't have a church, it would make our living room more churchly for services. So maybe we all should start on them. I am working on design sketches for Lent and Easter and should be able to post some soon. Various internet sites do offer ideas, and pre-made ones - for a price.

    ReplyDelete