Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sunset, Doll Dress, and Phone Drawing

Gorgeous sunset this evening... Pictures never capture the color right, though. And there was a bit of fog setting in over the field by the small airport where I took this.


Esther made a dress for her doll.


And check out those dreads! lol


I've been doing some crafty things this week, too, but just bits and pieces of things. Little bit of crochet, little bit of card making, little bit of sketching, etc.; but nothing's done enough to take pictures of.

Here's a screenshot of one of my drawing projects on my phone that's taking forever, though. Haha.


I'm sneaking in some reading, too. I am currently reading Emma by Jane Austen, and I was noticing that there seemed to have been much more emphasis placed on painting and such back then. "Drawing" was like one of the things a young lady learned in order to become "accomplished" but now it seems no one cares if they can make art or not.

Just some random thoughts. :)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, remember in Jane Eyre it was the same, water color was taught in the school and all young ladies could paint and play the piano forte.

    I made lots of doll clothes as a child too and then graduated to my own clothes, and then....quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah, for your response to my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I wish creative pursuits were still valued as highly as "academic". Around here, the only "extra-curriculars" that anyone cares about is sports. My kids often do more art and music than school work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I can relate to the frustration of trying to photograph beautiful skies. The camera is extremely limited on the range of light and color it can pick up, compared to the human eye. Also, the extreme difference in highlight and shadow in a photo like that confuses the camera and it just gets it all wrong. It takes specialized equipment and a lot of skill with camera settings to get a stunning sky photo. It seems appropriate, however. A beautiful sky is such a transient sight. It doesn't last, it changes so quickly, and there is no real way to hold on to it. All you can do is gawk and stare and try to soak it in and then it's over and changed. It seems metaphorical for the sweet moments in life... It's like that poem by Robert Frost, "Nothing Gold Can Stay".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for those apt thoughts, Katie.
    That is one of the reasons for art: to bring some beautiful moments home to keep. Of course that means somebody has to be a good observer and translator of the essence of that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could graduate from doll clothes to my own...but I don't know how to hand-sew sturdy enough for everyday use, and the old-ish sewing machine my grandma gave me years ago is tangled and I don't know how to fix it, lol. And I don't think I'd have the patience for quilts... :)

    Yes, sunsets that don't stay very long are a reminder that everything in this life is temporary. But that does not mean we must not enjoy the beauties that fall in our way in the moment. :D It's always nice to see something pretty when you don't expect it, or are too busy to think about simple things. It certainly made my day better. :)

    ReplyDelete